I love breakfast casserole, because it is easy and quick to make. Also, there are so many flavor combinations to try! I have a vegetarian living in my house, so I made a simple casserole today with no meat, using my basic recipe. I always incorporate cream cheese because of the creamy fluff factor it adds to the dish. The key is to allow the cream cheese to soften so that it can quickly be mixed with the eggs. I usually set my cream cheese out overnight. This casserole is so comforting, which is why I couldn’t celebrate the New Year without it!
Additions to this basic recipe are limitless! I love bacon and broccoli, or bacon and baby spinach, and just… bacon! I also love to add spinach, diced artichoke (from a can), and sour cream for a spinach artichoke dip flavor. Other cheeses can be baked into it as well, but I wouldn’t use more than eight ounces. For example, four ounces of mozzarella cheese with 4 ounces of pepper jack cheese would be delicious! My mood for this casserole was Italian, so I simply added Italian seasonings, garlic powder, and onion powder. I’ll probably grate some parmesan for the topping when I reheat it in the morning!
- 12 eggs
- 8 oz softened cream cheese
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, freshly shredded
- 1 tbsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- In a large bowl, mix eggs and cream cheese, until cheese appears to be evenly separated and distributed throughout the mixture. ( A whisk has always worked well for this step.)
- Add other ingredients and mix well with a mixing spoon or spatula.
- Grease a 9 x 13 glass baking dish.
- Pour mixture into baking dish.
- Place in the oven at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes.